One of the only knocks against Flickr’s new geotagging service has been the lack of detailed maps for non-U.S. locations. It’s good to see that they’re making progress on expanding the maps. When I saw that they recently added maps for Bora Bora I decided to upload my honeymoon photos from 5 years ago. Check them out on a map here.
Category Archives: Maps
I was thinking recently about the idea of a Google Maps mash-up with a job search site, such as Hot Jobs or Monster.com. The idea would be that you could enter in some kind of search filterting criteria – type of company, company size, public vs private, tag names, etc. The filtering would also include a commute radius – e.g. 30 miles. The search result would be a Google map showing the companies that met your search criteria. If you drill down on the map “balloons” you would get a brief description of the company, a link to the job postings, etc. I’ve used the excellent Wayfaring site to show an example of how the resulting map might look:1/17/05 Update:
One of the cool features of Warfaring is community maps. Any registered Wayfarer user can edit a community map, sort of like a Wiki. If you’d like to add your company to the SF Bay Area Tech Companies map, just follow these steps:
- First, sign up for a new Wayfaring account if you don’t already have one
- Go to the SF Bay Area Tech Companies map
- Click on the Edit Map button (towards the bottom of the page)
- Click on Add a Waypoint
- Type in the company name in the Name field
- Type in the Address for the company or click on the map.
Make sure to use the map zoom function if you are clicking on the map.
- Type in Tags (optional). For example, sanfrancisco, acmesoftware, companies, etc.
- Type in a Description. HTML tags are supported on this. Here’s the info that I’ve used for other companies:Short description of the company
Jobs link. Use this html:
- Click Done
- Click the Save Map button
- If you scroll down the list of Waypoints, you should see the new company. You might need to refresh your browser if you don’t see it in the list.
- To add a logo for your company, click on the company name in the Waypoint list
- Next to Photos, click upload
- Click Browse next to Photo 1 and select the logo file for the company. Click Submit.
I’ve posted another Wayfaring map. This one maps out the San Francisco – Tiburon bike ride. It’s about 17.5 miles from San Francisco to Tiburon. Grab a few drinks at Sam’s and then hop on the ferry back to SF. The map includes these “waypoints“:
- Blazing Saddles Bike Rentals (2715 Hyde Street)
- Fort Mason
- Crissy Field
- Golden Gate Bridge
- Sam’s Anchor Cafe (Tiburon)
- Buena Vista Cafe